How to Find The Best Seeds For Your Big Garden

 How to Find The Best Seeds For Your Big Garden


our seeds not just one of the most amazing things on earth I mean this tiny little seed will turn into an enormous tomato plant giving me pounds and pounds of the most delicious tomatoes and it does it in a matter of months it all it needs is some soil some water some sunshine but the idea of starting your garden from seed can be intimidating especially for new gardeners you open up that seed catalog and there's hundreds or thousands of varieties of seed to choose from it's really easy to get overwhelmed so today I want to share with you my process for choosing which seeds to buy and some of the things to consider and then at the end of this blog, I'll share some of my favorite varieties that I grow every season,

and I'm gonna have links below to the websites that I use to source my seeds and some other references that I'll talk about in this blog is not sponsored in any way I'm not affiliated with any of the seed companies they're just ones that I enjoy i'm kyle from urban farmstead, and if you follow me on instagram you probably already know that my wife and I recently moved from our urban farm where I started urban farmstead to our new home that has a completely empty backyard much like that one did only a few years ago, and by popular demand I've decided to share the entire transformation with all of you through this blog,

so if you want to follow along as we transform this empty backyard into another thriving urban farm click that subscribe button below what better way to start this entire process than to share with you one of my favorite things to do every January which is shopping for seeds, so that shopping for seeds for me it doesn't start every January it doesn't start really doesn't ever start or end it's an ongoing process that started from my very first garden planting a few seeds seeing what grew and then after that figuring out what did I wanted to try the next season I get ideas about what I want to grow each season from all sorts of different resources whether I'm scrolling through Instagram, and seeing what other people are growing or I'm flipping through a seed catalog or I eat something at a restaurant all sorts of ways to find what seeds I want to grow and I just keep a Notes app on my phone so I can write down the name of that variety as soon as I find out about it and then when it comes to shopping for seeds it can be really tempting to just start flipping through that Baker Creek seed catalog or scrolling through Johnny's seed website.

and just fill in your cart with all of these beautiful seeds and you should because that's a lot of fun and I do it all the time, but it's a lot like going to the grocery store on an empty stomach with no list and you come home and realize you bought all sorts of things you probably didn't need and maybe can't even use so my advice is before you start looking for seeds especially if you're new to gardening figure out the limitations of your garden, and while some of those limitations are going to be discovered over time through trial and error and growing things in your own garden there are a few things that you can figure out now to really narrow down what seeds will actually grow in your garden of course there are a lot of factors that will affect your ability to grow certain fruits or vegetables.

 but the two main thing is to consider are your agricultural zone and the amount of days in your growing season you can find those both out through a quick google search check the Farmers Almanac or just scroll below I've added a link to help you find that out for us here in Sacramento we're in zone 9 B, and our growing season is almost 300 days that's the amount of days between the last frost of spring until the first frost of fall and it's basically that window when we can grow any of our frost sensitive plants like tomatoes, and peppers and a lot of other things so with 300 days I'm not really limited here on what varieties I can grow but a lot of people have much shorter growing windows for their warm season annuals.

 so it's really important to know how many days you have in that time frame and find seeds that go along with that so a seed pack or a seed catalog should indicate the amount of days for a certain variety especially for things like peppers and tomatoes and the number on that if it's a direct, so variety like a larger seed like a squash or corn or something that grows really fast and is commonly direct sown into that soil that day count will start the day that you sow that outside but for more sensitive plants that are normally started indoors, and then transplanted outside like tomatoes and peppers that day count will actually start the day that you transplant it outside so if I start my tomatoes today,

 and it takes maybe 50 days for it to germinate and harden off and be ready to transplant then I transplant it out in the soil in another 90 days now it's about a hundred and thirty days from today until I'm harvesting that first tomato, so depending on where you're at choosing a variety of tomatoes that falls within that window might mean the difference between you enjoying caprese a salad or fried green tomatoes now I'm getting pretty hungry, so you can pretty easily figure out what varieties might grow in your garden but how do you find out which varieties are gonna grow really well in your garden just ask ask other people who are growing food in your area talk to the farmers at the farmers market talk to the master gardeners at your local gardening club go to the nursery talk to the staff there even talk to the other customers there I love having conversations with other customers when I'm picking out seedlings asking them their four favorite varieties.

and what they like to grow what hasn't worked for them because I can only grow so many different varieties of cucumbers in a season and I'm gonna pick a few that I know we're gonna do well maybe trial one or two new ones, but if I can get information about the experiences of other gardeners who are having success with certain things then I'm definitely going to try them out if I know that somebody else is having success with these varieties in my area once you've figured out what can grow in your area and what might grow well in your area the next thing to decide is what you want to grow, and well of course that's very broad the biggest thing I think to consider is how much of your harvest are you going to want to preserve do you want to eat everything fresh what do you want to actually can, and preserve some of your harvest and while you can pretty much preserve anything you grow there are definitely certain varieties that are better suited for it you can pickle any cucumber but there are certain varieties of cucumbers that were specifically bred to be pickling cucumbers you can make tomato sauce out of any tomato.

 but you're gonna have a lot better tomato sauce out of a santa Marzano then you are out of an early girl tomato so choose varieties that are gonna be suited for what you want to do with them I love looking through seed catalogs, and thumbing through the seed packs at my local nursery and it's almost always the picture that draws me in but it's, so important to flip that seat back over read the information on the back and actually understand what it all means because while the picture on the front of the seat back might make me think I'm buying a 65 day indeterminate heirloom tomato it's actually a 95 day determinate hybrid tomato and if that all sounds like Greek to you that's exactly what I'm talking about any seeds that you buy for your home garden will either be open pollinated seeds often labeled as heirloom even though those terms are not exactly interchangeable or hybrids,

so open pollinated seeds are seeds that come from any variety that is pollinated naturally without being crossed with another variety, so you can save those seeds in replant them year after year and an heirloom is just an open pollinated variety of seed that has been passed down from generation to generation hybrid seeds are the result of intentional cross-pollination between two genetically distinct varieties in order to take advantage of specific traits of those two parent plants, and the result is usually a variety that's more resistant and vigorous than those initial varieties but the disadvantage to growing hybrids is you can't really save the seeds I mean you can save the seeds and you can replant them but they won't grow to the variety that you started with like you can do with an heirloom.

Post a Comment

0 Comments